Founded in 1904, largely on the initiative of W. G. Collingwood, the well known artist, local
historian and secretary to John Ruskin, to promote the work of its members. Members in the early years included Cuthbert Rigby, Fred Yates, Arthur and Fred Tucker and Hubert Coutts (Tucker),
who was the first President. Invited exhibitors have included Frank Bramley, Sir William Russell Flint and Julius Olsson.
The first exhibition was in Coniston in 1905, and exhibitions have been staged every year since then, except for four years during the Second World War. Initially the exhibitions were in various centres, but later at the New Hall in Grasmere which is now the regular venue. The Lake Artists Summer Exhibition has become an established event in Cumbria, attracting over 10,000 visitors each year.
Being selected to exhibit with highly esteemed artists at such a prestigious event is an honour and privilege.